Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Cubes and Universes « Stéphane-Robert Langer

A couple years old but still worth a read to better understand differences between BO and SSAS.

Mark Miller recently posted a link to a whitepaper comparing the BI offerings from Business Objects and Microsoft. This is something I had been looking for for quite a while and I think it does a good job of presenting a comparative history of both platforms. The content remain fairly high level, though. What I’d like to do here is to discuss some of the conceptual differences between a Business Objects (BO) universe and a Microsoft SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) cube.

Cubes and Universes « Stéphane-Robert Langer

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is super old information (3 years!!!) not accurate and shouldn't be used to evaluate either offering.

Anonymous said...

I find it hard to believe that anyone would find the 2005 report a useful source of comparing products which, in the case of Business Objects, had seen 3 major releases since that time. Even MSFT with slower product cycles have seen updates.

In addition, a comparison between SSAS and Business Objects is somewhat out of context since one is a database/ sube and the other is a front end tool to cubes or databases such as SSAS. Granted, Business Objects has rolap/ olap style capabilities but the focus is on leveraging the database or cube as much as possible.

Andrew said...

As I'm just posting a link to the paper for personal research, I would publish any comments regarding this paper to the blog at the link or the author of the paper. The comments aren't my own, other than the line at the top saying it's a good paper to understand the differences between 2 different products.

Sounds like apples and oranges to me too - kind of like comparing Cognos Impromptu and Analysis Services 2005...

Stephane-Robert Langer said...

Hello all. I agree that comparing the complete BO product suite to SSAS wouldn't make sense. My post was much narrower in scope, focusing on the conceptual differences between each company's *abstraction layer* - namely BO universes and SSAS cubes. This is important from a modeling standpoint. There is also some level of confusion introduced by BO's use of the term "cube" which I believe is worth sorting out. As stated, though, I know much less about BO than SSAS so please let me know of any incorrect statements I may have made either here or better yet, in the post's comments.