Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Megginson Technologies: Land and Hold Short » Blog Archive » Cost of owning a plane in 2007

Something tells me I will not be owning a plane any time soon.

Here’s what it cost to own and operate a 1979 Piper Warrior II in Ottawa, Canada in 2007 with 80 hours air time (a bit more flight time, of course). Since the US and Canadian dollars are basically at par now, there’s no need to convert:

TOTAL:
$9,801.08
$122.51/hr

These are real costs, including sales taxes, not the BS costs you hear people throwing around at the airport. Reserves are $20/hour for engine and paint. I also pay about $500/year for charts and recurrent training, but I’d pay the same as a renter, so I don’t count those as ownership costs.

Megginson Technologies: Land and Hold Short » Blog Archive » Cost of owning a plane in 2007

No comments: