Internals Viewer is a tool for looking into the SQL Server storage engine and seeing how data is physically allocated, organised and stored.
All sorts of tasks performed by a DBA or developer can benefit greatly from knowledge of what the storage engine is doing and how it works
Note There was a problem with the first release of Beta 2 20081228. If no add-in is visible please follow the instructions in Troubleshooting.
- Integration with SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio) 2005 and 2008
- The application is installed as a SSMS add-in
- Internals information integrated into the Object Explorer
- Transaction Log viewer integrated into the Query Results
- Allocation Map
- Displays the physical layout of tables and indexes
- Displays PFS status
- Overlay pages in the Buffer Pool
- Page Viewer
- Displays Data pages including forwarding records and sparse columns
- Displays Index pages
- Displays allocation pages (IAM, GAM, SGAM, DCM, and BCM pages)
- Displays pages with SQL Server 2008 row and page compression