To help make sense of your options there is a Metadata toolkit containing a whitepaper and and a number of tools:
- DependencyAnalyzer.exe – Tool that evaluates and loads into a database the lineage on SSIS packages, Analysis Services and SQL Server. All the source code for this program is provided.
- DependencyViewer.exe – A tool that lets you graphically see the dependencies and lineage of objects in the lineage repository. Source code is provided for this program.
- Data Source View – A DSV that connects to the lineage repository (SSIS META database) that can be used by Reporting Services.
- Lineage Repository – A database called SSIS_META that can be used to house metadata from nearly any system.
- Reports – Some standard reports for impact analysis studies. You will find two key reports out of the box with several sub-reports.
- Report Model – A report model that you can use with Report Builder to allow end-users to create ad-hoc reports.
- Integration Services Samples – A few sample packages to start auditing and viewing lineage on.