Thursday, June 23, 2011

SSIS: Using IF(IIF) logic in Derived Column

Of course they couldn’t use IF or IIF (SSIS team had to be different…) so here’s how to do an if statement in a derived column.

Update: So the question was if how you would use the substring statement in the body of you iif statement to check if the column was blank…if it is then set if to null otherwise set it to the substring value.
Basically, it would be like this. Please note that I have used a different form to test for a blank field. In my version I use Trim and LEN(gth) functions so that the line can be a thousand blank spaces and I will get the same result..my column name in this instance is “Test”
(LEN(TRIM(Test)) > 0 ? SUBSTRING(Test,1,5) : NULL(DT_WSTR,5))

SSIS: Using IF(IIF) logic in Derived Column

No comments: